Salary and Benefits
Proposal budgets should be prepared using these salary scales and benefits rates and projections; use actual salaries when available.
- RPAC Memo 23-05, Forecasting Wage Escalation for Multi-Year Sponsored Projects
- UC Berkeley Academic Personnel Office: Compensation
- UC Berkeley Staff Salary and Pay
- UC Berkeley Graduate Division: Graduate Student Academic Appointments
UC Berkeley Composite Benefit Rates
The composite fringe benefit rates for fiscal years 2021-24 have been published. See below. FY 2021-24 rates should be applied to UC personnel costs that will occur during this time period. Projected rates (FY25-FY26) are estimates for planning purposes, only (e.g., multi-year budgeting, financial aid planning, contract and grant proposal submissions, etc.) and are subject to change.
If future approved composite fringe benefit rates are higher or lower than the projected rates budgeted at the proposal stage, PIs will need to re-budget accordingly. PIs are encouraged to review the historical information on composite fringe benefit projections listed below before preparing a project budget.
See Composite Benefit Rates for a fringe benefit rate overview and additional details.
Approved Rates (UCPath Rates)
|Projections for Planning Purposes ⟶|
|Limited (includes Postdocs)||17.4%||16.4%||14.4%||14.0%||12.2%||12.2%||12.2%|
|Employees with No Benefit Eligibility||5.6%||5.5%||4.2%||5.3%||5.4%||5.4%||5.4%|
|Students (Graduate and Undergraduate)||2.4%||2.4%||2.6%||2.8%||2.3%||2.3%||2.3%|
- Rates beyond June 30, 2024 are estimates and are provided for planning purposes only. Future benefits rates are subject to change.
- Rate changes reflect anticipated increases and decreases in benefit costs, including health care and retirement contributions.
- “Limited” includes Postdocs, Faculty Summer Salary, and Eligibility Code C - Core, M - Mid Level.
- Note: Some fringe costs that carry special costing circumstances are excluded from the rates and should continue to be budgeted and expensed separately. Links to guidance on how to treat Graduate Student Health and Tuition Remission and vacation accrual and compensatory time (all 52XXX account codes) are provided below.
- 2020–2021 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2020–6/30/2021)
- 2019–2020 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2019–6/30/2020)
- 2018–2019 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2018–6/30/2019)
- 2017–2018 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2017–6/30/2018)
- 2016–2017 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2016–6/30/2017)
- 2015–2016 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2015–6/30/2016)
- 2014–2015 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2014–6/30/2015)
- 2013–2014 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2013–6/30/2014)
- 2012–2013 UCB Composite Benefit Rates (7/1/2012–6/30/2013)
- 2011–2012 Fringe Benefits Projection Rates (9/1/2011–6/30/2012)
- Historical Benefits Projection Rates (1/1/2002–8/30/2011)
- Historical UC Retirement Plan (UCRP) Benefit Charge