Subaward Suspension or Early Termination
SPO may need to suspend or terminate a subaward for several reasons. Some examples include:
- The sponsor suspends or terminates the Prime Award.
- UC Berkeley relinquishes the Prime Award.
- The sponsor stops making funding available or will not pay submitted UC Berkeley invoices.
- There are delays or other factors that impact UC Berkeley’s research progress.
- The Subrecipient’s PI leaves the Subrecipient institution and a suitable replacement is not identified.
- The Subrecipient completes their Statement of Work early and no additional work or funding is required by the Subrecipient.
- The Subrecipient can’t or won’t be able to complete their Statement of Work.
- The Subrecipient does not comply with the subaward or Prime Award terms.
- The Subrecipient commits fraud or misuses subaward funds.
Because subaward termination or suspension is not an expected event and may involve sensitive issues, if you believe there is a need to suspend or terminate a subaward, please email the Subaward Team at firstname.lastname@example.org, as soon as possible, for guidance on how to proceed. Your email should provide the relevant Subaward Number and an explanation for the suspension/termination. After reviewing the situation, the Subaward Specialist will guide you on when it is time to submit a formal request for the suspension or termination. At a minimum, the request should contain:
- For a Suspension:
- The effective date of the suspension;
- The duration of the suspension; and
- The scope of the suspension (e.g. all activities; or specific activities).
For a Termination:
- The effective date of the termination.
For the next steps in the process, see Subaward Closeout .
If you have questions, please contact the Subaward Team at email@example.com. If you have a suggestion on how we might improve SPO’s subaward services, please drop it in the Subaward Suggestion Box.