The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
On Friday, September 12, 2014, the majority of SPO staff will be involved in a regional meeting with sponsored project officers from Stanford University and UCSF. SPO services on this date therefore will be limited to front desk administrative duties. Proposal and award set up activity will resume on Monday, September 15th. Individuals submitting proposals or other time sensitive transactions during this time frame should plan accordingly.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- Barbara A. Laraia, CNR, $2,472,441, NICHD, “Race, Stress and Dysregulated Eating: Maternal to Child Transmission of Obesity”
- David Schaffer, QB3, $2,217,853, NEI, “Directed Evolution of Adeno-Associated Virus for Retinal Gene Therapy”
- Anthony J. Cascardi, Dean, Arts and Humanities, $2,000,000, Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, “Capacity Building and Integration in the Digital Humanities”
- Daniel A. Portnoy, MCB, $1,917,675, NIAID, “Listeria Hemolysin and Escape from a Vacuole”
- Glynda Hull, Education, $1,552,200, California Department of Education, “The Eastbay Collaborative for Underserved Children (ECUC) After-School Initiative: A University, School, and Community Partnership to Develop 21st Century Skills”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.