The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- William H. Dow, IBER, $1,857,704, NIDA, “Smoking Cessation Contracts with Social and Monetary Incentives”
- Michael Nachman, Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, $993,598, NIGMS, “Natural Selection and DNA Sequence Variation in Mus”
- Richard J. Saykally, Chemistry, $567,500, NSF, “Laser Spectroscopy of Ions and Clusters”
- Nina Maggi Kelly, CNR, $515,000, California Energy Commission, “Updating and Enhancing the Cal-Adapt Website”
- Jeffrey Oxendine, Public Health, $476,793, California Endowment, “Health Policy Advocacy Initiative”
- Nitash Balsara, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, $400,000, NSF, “DMREF: Collaborative Research: Next-generation Nanostructured Polymer Electrolytes by Molecular Design”
- Edward Miguel, Center of Evaluation for Global Action, $359,402, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, “Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.