The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- Thad Dunning, Institute of International Studies, $1,800,000, Wellspring Advisors, LLC, “Experiments in Governance and Politics (EGAP) Regranting Pool”
- Carolyn R. Bertozzi, Chemistry, $1,657,146, NIGMS, “Chemical Cell Surface Engineering”
- Christine F. Wildsoet, Optometry, $1,067,838, NEI, “Application of Two Animal Models in Pursuit of Myopia Control”
- Xochitl Castaneda, Public Health, $1,000,000, California Health Benefit Exchange, “Insuring California’s Under-Served Latino and Spanish-Speaking Community”
- John A. Powell, VC Equity and Inclusion, $950,000, W.K. Kellogg Foundation, “Haas Institute Operating Grant”
- John A. Powell, VC Equity and Inclusion, $706,533, California Endowment, “Haas Institute-Richmond Project”
- Peter Hosemann, Nuclear Engineering, $680,000, DOE, “Developing Ultra-Small Scale Mechanical Testing Methods and Microstructural Investigation Procedures for Irradiated Materials”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.