The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- Annalee Saxenian, iSchool, $15,000,000, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, “Cybersecurity and Internet Policy”
- Jeffrey Hadler, Graduate Division, $1,944,000, U.S. Department of Education, “UC Berkeley - UC Los Angeles Consortium for Southeast Asian Studies”
- James A. Olzmann, Nutritional Science and Toxicology, $1,468,258, National Institute of General Medical Sciences, “Molecular Mechanisms of Lipid Droplet Biogenesis”
- Michael E. Levi, SSL, $1,150,377, Heising-Simons Foundation, “The Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument”
- Kevin O’Brien, Graduate Division, $1,014,000, U.S. Department of Education, “National Resource Centers Program and Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships Program”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.