The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- Lee W. Riley, Public Health, $5,517,596, NIAID, “Consortium for Drug-Resistant Gram-Negative Pathogen Detection”
- Ming Wu, EECS, $4,210,192, DARPA, “Heterogeneously Integrated Optical Synthesizer (HiOS)”
- Carl J. Blumstein, CIEE, $3,000,000, California Public Utilities Commission, “Demand Response Research Activities”
- David D. Ackerly, Integrative Biology, $2,946,352, NSF, “NRT-DESE: Environment and Society: Data Science for the 21st century (DS421)”
- Marcia C. Linn, Education, $2,290,222, NSF, “INT: Project Learning with Automated, Networked Supports (PLANS)”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.