The Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) at the University of California, Berkeley is responsible for reviewing and authorizing proposals for submission and for interpreting, negotiating, and accepting contracts and grants for sponsored projects funded by federal and state agencies, foundations, and other public and private sources. SPO prepares and negotiates all subawards for collaborative research. SPO also provides resources for finding funding opportunities.
Key Policies and Procedures
- UCB Policy on Requirement to Submit Proposals and to Receive Awards through SPO/IAO
- VCR Five Day Proposal Submission Policy Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic routing and approval of campus proposals using Phoebe
- Patricia Crawford, CNR, $10,902,520, California Department of Public Health, “Obesity Prevention Evaluation and Research”
- Roberto Horowitz, Civil and Environmental Engineering, $4,797,496, California Department of Transportation, “California Partners for Advanced Transportation Technology, Program Management”
- Stephen R. Leone, Chemistry, $3,750,000, Army Research Office, “Post-Born-Oppenheimer Dynamics Using Isolated Attosecond Pulses”
- Marcia C. Linn, Education, $2,999,748, NSF, “GRIDS: Graphing Research on Inquiry with Data in Science”
- John M. Colford Jr., Public Health, $2,271,443, NICHD, “Effects of Sanitation of Pathogen Transmission and Child Health in Bangladesh”
- Craig Steinmaus, Public Health, $2,219,719, NIEHS, “Cancer in Adults Following in Utero and Early Life Exposure to Arsenic”
Sponsored activities with industry and incoming Material Transfer Agreements are managed by IPIRA.